YPD FILLED MICROTITER PLATES
1. Grow individual strains to use for PCR
2. Shipping strains
1. Make YPD regular agar (1.5-2%) for sending strains.
2. Make 200ml batches = enough for 6 microtiter
3. Add G418 at 200mg/L.
4. Keep the medium at 65° or hotter.
Place the multichannel pipettor basin on a block
that is set at 65°. Pour the hot medium nearly to the top.
5. Dispense agar media into wells. Do not blow
out the final drop of
medium into the wells (makes bubbles).
Colony PCR: 200µl per well
Prior to inoculating cells, add 10µl water to
each well. Then inoculate the
wells with sterile toothpicks. After all the wells are inoculated,
plate a gentle swirl to spread the cells on the surface of the medium
each well. This makes semi-liquid cultures for use as template for
colony PCR, after which the plates can be parafilmed and stored.
Sending strains: 150µl per well
Let plates sit on bench to dry for several days before
Do NOT add water to the wells.
from Linda Riles, November 1997